Books & Links to additional resources.
By no means a complete list :
- The best resource for general books, magazines, alternative schools, and other resources is :
AERO - the Alternative Education Resource Organisation's website at www.EducationRevolution.org
- The best source for Natural Learning articles by real families is www.LifeLearningMagazine.com by founder and editor Wendy Priesnitz.
Education books that influenced me:
- Challenging Assumptions in Education by Wendy Priesnitz (Alternate Press, 2000)
- No Homework and Recess All Day by Jerry Mintz (Bravura Books, 2000).
- By John Taylor Gatto:
- Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (New Society Publishers, 2002)
- The Underground History of American Education: A School Teacher’s Intimate Investigation into the Problem of Modern Schooling (Odysseus Group, 2000)
- Weapons of Mass Instruction: A School Teacher’s Journey into the Dark World of Compulsory Schooling (New Society Publishers, 2008)
- Summerhill by A.S. Neil (Penguin Books,1968)
- The Self-Organizing Revolution: Common Principles of the Educational Alternatives Movement by Ron Miller (Holistic Education Press, 2008)
Education books that are leaders in this domain:
- By the late John Holt :
- How Children Fail (Penguin, 1969)
- How Children Learn (Various)
- Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book of Homeschooling (Da Capo Press, 2003)
- The Underachieving School (Pelican, 1971)
- Alfie Khon :
- The Homework Myth (Da Capo Press, 2006).
- Punished by Rewards (Mariner Books, 1999).
- The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and “Tougher Standards” (Houghton Mifflin, 1999)
- Deschooling Our Lives by Matt Hern (New Society Publishers, 1998)
- Deschooling Society by Ivan Illich (Harper, 1972)
Probably the most familiar author and speaker, that I have not yetread, Ken Robinson:
- Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That’s Transforming Education (Viking, 2015 with Lou Aronica)
- The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything (Viking, 2009)
- Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative (Capstone 2001 with Lou Aronica)